- Privileged access to highly characterized and cutting-edge pharmacology molecules
- Direct support from experienced Boehringer Ingelheim drug discovery scientists
- Initial enabling funding might be available with the potential for follow-on collaborations
- Possibility of publishing novel connections of biological mechanisms to human disease using unique reagents
We release these compounds for specific projects to test novel therapeutic hypotheses. The proposals are evaluated by Boehringer Ingelheim scientists and the selected ideas are normally pursued through a joint collaboration. The initial proposal must not contain any confidential data. Further, it should be short (2-3 pages) and address the following areas to allow rapid evaluation of your ideas:
- Overview of the proposal originator and the organization(s) it represents
- Medical need
- Scientific rationale, supported by key references
- Target-to-disease link
- Therapeutic hypothesis to be tested
- Test systems available and information on their suitability
- Key decision-making data to support project progression
- Projected timelines to decision points
- A graphical representation of the experimental plan
- Information on potential conflicting intellectual property rights of third parties and freedom to operate
- Initial funding request
We have provided a template to help you to compile the information required.
If confidential data exists that would strengthen the proposal, you may indicate that confidential information is available to share under a Confidential Disclosure Agreement (CDA). If we find the non-confidential concept proposal sufficiently interesting, we will execute a CDA for confidential discussions.
Funding is potentially available to kick-start projects. Research proposals are evaluated by Boehringer Ingelheim scientists for strategic fit and are considered for funding on a competitive basis.
Boehringer Ingelheim scientists with relevant expertise will make an initial evaluation of your collaboration proposal within 4 weeks. Should there be mutual interest in proceeding with the compound request, you will usually be contacted by a Boehringer Ingelheim scientist to discuss the research plan in more detail and to understand how we can best support your idea. The timeframe for collaboration start will be different for each collaboration.
No. Boehringer Ingelheim covers all compound, shipping and import costs associated with the provision of these research compounds.
Sufficient compound will be provided to test the new therapeutic concept as outlined in the agreed upon research plan.
The IP rights will be pre-negotiated as part of the contracting arrangements between Boehringer Ingelheim and your institution.
No. Applications will be shared inside Boehringer Ingelheim amongst a team of scientists designated to evaluate proposals for potential funding. They will not be visible to, or shared with, scientists from other institutions.
The terms and conditions for data sharing will be specified in the individual collaboration agreements.
These molecules are released with a comprehensive data package describing potency on designated target, selectivity information versus other targets, and pharmacokinetic characterization. In the first instance, the structures of our Molecules for collaboration are not released. This allows us to make unique compounds from ongoing projects available to the community much earlier than has previously been possible.
These tool compounds highly characterized with respect to potency, selectivity and pharmacokinetics. They are suitable for in vivo preclinical studies and guidelines are available to advise on species previously tested, dose selection, dose regimen, and formulation.
No. We aim to make unique tool compounds available at a very early stage while the biology is evolving; hence, the compounds will not have been subject to a comprehensive safety evaluation. They are provided as experimental tools for in vitro and in vivo studies and should be treated appropriately according to the practices within your institute.